Football Facts: Top 10 African scorers of all time – who are top African scorers of all time and where are they now
Africa has hosted vast number of talents in football with the last couple of decades being a ground breaking experience as Africans storm the world of football like tongues of fire and spread their names capturing trophies like a child’s play.
We have seen African footballers arose in the football globe with top notch speed, great acceleration, precision, passing skills, shooting from long ranges with thunder-bolt strikes, amazing dribbles and excellent scoring techniques.
It is an honor that most of the top scorers in the history of African footballers and football as a whole are as well some of the best players in the world to have played the game of football.
In the list of the Top 10 African scorers of all time, only two are still Active (No 5 and 6) with number 5 playing for Belgian Pro league side Royal Antwerp and No 6 playing for Spanish giants FC Barcelona.
- Modern football defensive midfielder/Mediocentro/Regista
- Top 10 highest scoring Nigerians in the last 21 years
- Who is a FALSE Full Back in Football?
- CAF CL: PWD Boss reacts to draw against Kaizer Chiefs
- Tactical approaches and theoretical concepts in football
- Liverpool vs Man City: Pre-match tactical analysis
- Olivier Giroud a perfect example of Mental Resilience in modern football
Most of the top scorers in African football history are retired and some living their lives silently as it pleases them while others have taken up major roles in leadership in their football institutions and country.
For example; No 1 being a football Ambassador in his home country and No 2 being the football Federation president in his country and No 8 being the President of his country etc.
It is also very interesting that some of the best scorers and or top scorers in 2022 are also Africans despite they no being part of the list of the Top 10 African scorers of all time.
Thus, BraggsSports takes a look at the top 10 African top scorers of all time with Cameroon’s legendary footballer Roger Milla leading the list.
1. Roger Milla (Cameroon) – 503 goals in 905 games
2. Samuel Eto’o Cameroon) – 426 goals in 877 games
3. Godfrey Chitalu (Zambia) – 393 goals in 598 games
4. Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast) – 365 goals in 791 games
5. Dieumerci Mbokani (DR Congo) -328 goals in 704 games (Still Active)
6. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon) 326 goals (Still Active)
7. Asamoah Gyan (Ghana) -290 goals in 533 games
8. George Weah (Liberia) – 288 goals in 628 games
9. Ahmed Faras (Morocco) – 275 goals in 325 games
10. Salif Keita (Mali) – 259 goals in 404 games.
The only thing that baffles me in this list is that two of Africa’s most feared nations in Nigeria and Egypt has no one to play a part in this list.