Qatar 2022 World Cup: CAF Group D Qualifiers – Cameroon bounces back against Mozambique in a thrilling 3-1 victory as Choupo Moting shines
First match and first victory in style for the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon at the Japoma Sports Complex in Douala. Friday night, in a game counting for the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers, supporters of the Indomitable Lions once again after a while can boast of a better offensive display by their national team.
Cameroon’s 2-0 win over Malawi in the opening round of the 2022 World Cup qualifiers in September was quickly diffused by a 2-1 loss away to the group to leaders Ivory Coast. The Lion’s game against Mozambique in Douala was tagged a must win one. The team could after a long while count on former captain Eric Choupo- Moting. The striker found the back of the net twice to give victory for the host (28th and 52nd).
A comfortable lead at half time meant the Lions could increase their goal tally in the second half, something they did but from an unlikely source.
Olympique Lyonnais striker Karl Toko Ekambi reinvented his current club form with the national team. His goals always come far and between and Friday night was another scene. The striker put Cameroon ahead 3-0 in the 63rd minute.
- Eto’o, Njitap, Song: Who is Cameroon’s greatest centurion?
- The European Premier League- A new might
- Tactical Team Analysis: Diego Simeone and Atletico Madrid
- Who is a FALSE Full Back in Football?
- How to Rank World Football Leagues
- Top 10 most underrated footballers in the world right now
- Top 8 best African Midfielders right now
- Some general misunderstandings in central midfielders
- Top 10 Highest Paid African Footballers Right Now 2021
What looked very comfortable for the host was reduced to probabilities when Geny Catamo reduced the deficit for Mozambique. Cameroon managed to conserve the score at 3-1 till full time.
The win takes Cameroon (6 pts) to within a point of group D leaders Ivory Coast (7 pts), who won 3-0 away to Malawi.
Cameroon will play away to Mozambique in a reverse fixture while leaders Ivory Coast will host strugglers Malawi at home.
A dicey situation for Cameroon who should not drop any points along the line while hoping to beat Ivory Coast when both sides meet later this year in Cameroon for a decisive group game. Only the top team of the group will make it to the next and final round of qualifiers for the World Cup to be played next year in Qatar.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- Morocco beats Sudan as Algeria scores eight pass Djibouti
- Benin, Burkina Faso victorious as Namibia, Congo draw
- Cape Verde aim to ignite their AFCON hopes vs Cameroon
- 10000 Fans To Watch Cameroon Vs Mozambique 2022 World Cup
- AFCON Q: Cameroon vs Mozambique Post-Match Analysis
- Toko Ekambi nets twice as Lyon wins Monaco