Done Deal: Barca have announced the arrival of Netherland international Memphis Depay on a free transfer from French Ligue 1 club Lyon
The 27-year-old, who is currently with the Netherlands squad at Euro 2020, is available on a free this summer, having decided against renewing his contract with Lyon.
The Catalan giants have long been considered as the favourites for the attacker, who scored 22 times and registered 12 assists in 40 appearances at club level during the 2020-21 campaign.
Barca boss Ronald Koeman recently revealed that a deal to bring Memphis to Camp Nou was “almost done”, and the La Liga side have now announced his arrival.
“Barcelona and Memphis Depay have reached an agreement for the player to join the club once his contract with Olympique Lyonnais is at an end. The player will sign a contract until the end of the 2022/23 season,” read a statement on the club’s official website.
Memphis, who had also been linked with Juventus, scored 76 goals and registered 55 assists in 178 appearances for Lyon following a move from Manchester United.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- Wijnaldum finally opens up on why he left Liverpool
- Top 5 Best African Defenders in Football in 2021
- Ayissi Christopher joins GH Bafut as their new head coach
- Gerald Takwara confirms his return to South African PSL
- Top 5 Highest Paid Footballers in the NPFL in 2021
- Top 7 Most Successful Cameroon Football Clubs
- Msimango disappointed after being left out of Olympic squad
- Liverpool: New contracts for entire front three ‘not realistic’
- Martin Braithwaite to continue at Barcelona?
- Media company confirms in court Bartomeu paid to defame Barca players
- Why ex-Arsenal and Cameroon ace Lauren Etame still treasures Olympic memories
- Top 7 clubs with the most CAF Champions League titles
- Kaizer Chiefs coach Baxter wants players be given credit for their CAF CL run
- Stuart Baxter wants Kaizer Chiefs to sign more players
- Junior Khanye – “Chiefs Defeat Like A Horror Movie”