Luis Campos: The Transfer Genius Who Is One of Football’s Most Wanted Men
As the man who helped to launch the careers of players such as Fabinho, Bernardo Silva, Thomas Lemar, Anthony Martial and Nicolas Pepe, Luis Campos has established a reputation as one of the game’s leading talent-spotters.
The list of clubs rumoured to have shown an interest in the Lille sporting director’s services reads like a Who’s Who of the European elite, with Manchester United, Arsenal, Barcelona, Chelsea, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Roma, Paris Saint Germain and Marseille reported to have sounded him out about the possibility of becoming their sporting director in recent years.
“It’s not a coincidence that his name [Luis Campos] has been linked with Chelsea or Milan or the other top clubs in the world,” says Aitor Karanka, who became friends with Campos while working alongside him at Real Madrid.
“When you look at the players who he signed at Monaco and Lille, the difference between the price they had and the price they have now is amazing. He’s one of the best.”
A Look at Luis Campos’ service at Monaco and Lille so far
• Signed Bernardo Silva for £3m and sold him for £45m.
• Signed Fabinho for £2m and sold him for £43m.
• Signed Lemar for £1m and sold him for £63m.
• Discovered Mbappé.
• Signed Leão for £5m and sold him for £24m.
• Signed Pépé for £3m and sold him for £72m.
• Signed Gabriel for £3m and sold him for £25m.
• Signed Osimhen for £12m and sold him for £60m.
• Signed Yilmaz for free: 21 Goals/Assists this season.
• Signed David for £24m: 16 Goals/Assists this season.
Luis Campos is the transfer genius behind the only two sides other than PSG to won the Ligue 1 in the last nine years.
- Top 10 World Football’s Most Underrated Strikers
- Why Ronaldo de Lima has an underwhelming CL goal tally
- Diego Armando Maradona: A God amongst men
- Why Jurgen Klopp deserves FIFA Best Men coach award
- Pep Guardiola – The Ultimate Thinker