CAN 2021: Old foes Cameroon and Nigeria face off in a FIFA International friendly Match on the 04/06/21 at Wiener Neustadt – Vienna, Austria
When you talk about epic head-to-head African clashes, does the thought of a Cameroon versus Nigeria tie flow into your memory? It is not just your ordinary football match; it is a battle for pride and bragging rights among two fierce rivals and neighbours.
The old age foes fold their sleeves for another round of bare-knuckled battle when they clash in a FIFA international friendly match on the 04/06/21 at Wiener Neustadt – Vienna, Austria
Overall, Cameroon and Nigeria have met 23 times with Nigeria the most successful in their meetings as they have won 12 times while Cameroon has won 4 times and the rest ending up in draws.
Their first official meeting dates back to 1960 in an international friendly with the game ending a goalless draw. In their next two meetings, Nigeria then tasted identical 3-1 victories, one which was a tie at the Nkrumah Cup in 1961 and the following year in an international friendly.
Their most recent meetings was in 2019 in the African Cup of nations hosted by Egypt which saw Nigeria edge pass Cameroon with a score-line that ended 3-2.
- Modern football defensive midfielder/Mediocentro/Regista
- Top 10 highest scoring Nigerians in the last 21 years
- Who is a FALSE Full Back in Football?
- CAF CL: PWD Boss reacts to draw against Kaizer Chiefs
- Tactical approaches and theoretical concepts in football
- Liverpool vs Man City: Pre-match tactical analysis
- Olivier Giroud a perfect example of Mental Resilience in modern football
Of those 23 meetings between these two African giants, seven have been at the AFCON including three final meetings which Cameroon emerged victors in all.
The question that remains is, who will win the next edition of their clash? Or are you expecting a draw?
To many and maybe even me, the answer is simple; it is either a win for Nigeria or a draw so long as it is not a final. SMILES.
Leave your thoughts in the comment section
YOU MAY LIKE
- Kroos: We are simply puppets for both FIFA and UEFA
- Why Jurgen Klopp deserves FIFA Best Men coach award
- Choupo-Moting to extend his Bayern Munich stay
- Frank Onyeka travels with Midtjylland to face Liverpool
- The modern football goalkeeper
- Why Cameroon football fans must stop criticizing Conceicao’s selection