Manchester United vs Manchester City Preview: team news, probable linesups, key stats, tactics and prediction ahead of their 12/12/2020 clash in the Premier League
Saturday the 12th of December 2020 is the day for the Manchester Derby. A day to define the colours of the city as to whether it is Red or Blue. Manchester United will host the Citizens at Old Trafford.
Manchester United vs Manchester City Team News
Man United Team News
Anthony Martial and Edinson Cavani have both returned to training after missing Tuesday’s defeat to Leipzig in the Champions League.
Although Martial could start ahead of Cavani, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer could face a tough test to select the right forward as Cavani will be assessed.
Luke Shaw is back with the team and even featured in their defeat vs Leipzig.
David de Gea is available after featuring against Leipzig from a minor injury which saw Dean Henderson in goal against their over West Ham last weekend.
Fred is also available after missing last game vs Leipzig in Champions over a red card suspension.
Man City Team News
Manchester City’s talisman Sergio Aguero is back in training but not ready to start the derby. The Argentine international scored against Marseille in the Champions league on Wednesday as he returned from a knee injury. However to avoid risking him so much it seems Pep Guardiola will prefer he starts on the bench.
IIkay Gundogan has returned to to training after a blow to his ankle against Marseille.
However defender Eric Garcia is sidelined for few weeks as he suffers from a knock.
Man United vs Man City tactics and probable linesups
Man United tactics and probable linesup
Without any fresh injury concerns for Ole Gunnar Solkjaer, his preparation against Manchester City is intact.
Earlier this week, Solkjaer experimented with a 3-4-1-2 which saw them get eliminated from the Champions League against Leipzig. Ole G Solkjaer may revert to his preferred 4-2-3-1 with Alex Telles likely the only player to drop off the side which faced Leipzig midweek.
That means Luke Shaw will per up with Aaron Wan Bissaka at the both full-back sides. Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof will be the hearts of the backline as De Gea will start in Goal.
The Midfielder will be likely Fred accompanying Scott MCTominay. The forward midfield as usual will be a talent pack combination of Bruno Fernandez, Marcus Rashford and Greenwood. Martial will be the man to martial the frontline.
Probable Lineup (4-2-3-1): De Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw, McTominay, Fred; Greenwood, Bruno Fernandes, Rashford, Martial.
- Manchester United Tactics: Ole G Solskjaer’s blueprint
- Ole G. Solskjær on why Martial took the penalty vs Leipzig
- Top 10 most underrated footballers in the world right now
- Premier League: Man City vs Liverpool Match Preview
- Barcelona vs Juventus preview team news and prediction
Man City tactics and probable linesup
Man City are facing some major injuries lately although most of the first team players are fit.
Gundogan is fit but still doubtful after picking up a knock against Marseille.
Ederson as usual will be the man in goal. The buildup master from the back in in Pep’s game plans.
John Stones who has an uncertain future at Manchester City could start considering his masterclass performances in their last two Premier games. Stone’s would be accompanied by Ruben Dias at the heart of the back with Benjamin Mendy and Kyle Walker being the full-backs.
Kevin De Bruyne will be the brain of the midfield. He will be tasks with pulling the strings and exploiting the vulnerable spaces in Man United’s defence while Rodri shields the midfield. Phil Foden could be given the chance as the third partner in the midfield considering his work rate, creativity and eye for goal.
Upfront, we already the likes of Raheem Sterling, Gabriel Jesus and Riyad Mahrez will be the men as Aguero is still building his fitness. Sterling will aimed at creating overloads centrally while Mahrez will be more creative than a goalscoring threat.
Probable Lineup (4-3-3): Ederson; Walker, Dias, Stones, Mendy, De Bruyne, Rodri, Foden, Mahrez, Jesus, Sterling.
- Six of the pass eight Manchester derbies in all competitions have been won by the away team.
- There have only been three home wins in the pass 13 Manchester derbies.
- Manchester United have won Manchester City 3 times in their last four derbies.
- Last season, Manchester United prevailed against Manchester City in a double Premier League encounter for the first time in a decade.
- Out of Man United’s 19 Premier League points this season, Just 4 have come at home.
- Also, they have managed to score just three goals in a pack of 19 goals this season while also conceeding 10 league goals at Old Trafford.
- Bruno Fernandes has been involved in more Premier League goals than any other player since his Manchester United debut in February, scoring 15 and contributing 11 assists in just 24 games.
- Manchester United have won a league-high 15 points from losing positions this season; but all these comebacks have come away from home.
- Manchester City have lost six of their last eight Premier League away fixtures against other ‘Big Six’ sides, including each of the last four.
This is a real conundrum.
Up until Tuesday night, I was all set to lead this prediction piece on why Manchester United should be backed at 3/1 to beat Manchester City. Nut i have got cold feet afterwards. No one can seriously trust this Man United. A vulnerable defensive performance at Leipzig after a shaky first half display against West Ham. What a shame for this team.
Before their last two shambolic defensive woes, they have been the most consistent at the back after their 6-2 trashing by Tottenham. Within that time, they only conceded 3 goals, the fewest by any Premier League within that time frame.
But then it seems Manchester United is just puzzle. The get one or two weeks of good football and then the next one or two weeks is another shameful performance.
Manchester City has been picking up form lately in all competitions and could bang up this Man United side so hardly.
Concludion: I predict Manchester United 1-2 Manchester City.